Management of cancer without PET study is considered to be inadequate. In one whole body PET scan the status of the cancer can be accurately determined so that a comprehensive therapy can be delivered. It also enables localization of primary tumour and helps in monitoring the patient during follow up period. Other areas where PET can be very useful in indentifying location of infection in cases of PUO., in many cases of Neurological disorders and myocardial viability study.
- The Introduction of Position Emission Tomography (PET) as an Imaging Modality in Clinical Medicine is a Landmark Event in the History of Imaging Sciences.
- This Imaging Modality has revolutionized our Understanding of Biochemical Process that Lead to manifestation of a Disease.
- The Abnormal Process at Cellular Level can be identified Much Before Morphological Changes.
- The Simultaneous Imaging of Morphological Details along with Functional Changes (PET- CT) has Increased the Specificity and Accuracy of Diagnosis which could Never be Achieved by any other Single Investigation.
- PET- CT Imaging is Extensively used worldwide Specially in Cancer leading to better Diagnosis, Efficacy of Treatment and Survival.
- This Modality is now available in Odisha with Installation of the art PET- CT machine.